- 1 What is Diwali & Some Traditions of Diwali:
- 1.1 Traditions of Diwali:
- 1.2 Fireworks Display:
- 1.3 Finalize your guest list
- 1.4 Work out a budget
- 1.5 Design a menu
- 1.6 Decorate with Diwali-themed decor
- 1.7 Rent furniture and seating
- 1.8 Set up cards tables
- 1.9 Hire Diwali live entertainers
- 1.10 Get the music going
- 1.11 Select appropriate party favours
- 1.12 Don’t forget the photoshoot
- 1.13 Diwali party activities for kids and adults:
- 1.14 FAQ’s:
What is Diwali & Some Traditions of Diwali:
Diwali is a festival that brings people together in celebration. Diwali, also known as the Festival of Lights, stands for the victory of light over darkness and good over bad. It’s like a fresh start. It’s based on ancient stories, like when King Rama returned to his kingdom of Ayodhya after a long time away. This festival is about being happy together. People of different faiths like Hindus, Sikhs, Jains, and Buddhists all over the world celebrate Diwali. It’s full of special customs.
Traditions of Diwali:
- Lighting Diyas and Candles: Illuminating homes with traditional lamps (diyas) and candles symbolizes the triumph of light over darkness.
- Rangoli Decorations: Elaborate and colorful patterns, known as rangoli, are created at the entrance of homes to welcome guests and bring good luck.
- Exchanging Gifts: Friends, family, and colleagues exchange gifts, which often include sweets, dry fruits, and sometimes precious metals.
- Prayers and Religious Rituals: People visit temples or perform special prayers and rituals at home to seek blessings for prosperity, health, and well-being.
- Feasting: Elaborate meals are prepared, including a variety of traditional Indian sweets and savory snacks, enjoyed with family and friends.
- Wearing New Clothes: It is customary to wear new and festive clothing on Diwali as a symbol of renewal and prosperity.
Fireworks are set off to add to the festive atmosphere and symbolize the celebration of victory and the vanquishing of darkness.
Diwali is celebrated in every city of UAE – Dubai, Sharjah, Abu Dhabi, Ajman & other major cities with lights, fireworks, Delicacies & joy.
Planning a Diwali party? Hosting a Diwali party at home can be a task but not if you have a handy checklist. Here’s a checklist of how to organize the best Diwali party – A crisp yet essential guide to hosting a Diwali party at home.
Finalize your guest list
Decide on the number of people you wish to invite. It is essential to freeze the guest list early in the planning process. Create an organized spreadsheet that includes a first name, last name, and Contact number for each of your guests. This will come in handy when you’re ready to send out invitations It helps make decisions about other factors like budget, Diwali menu, seating, and Diwali party favours.
- Consider Your Space: Take into account the size of your venue or home
- Budget Constraints: Keep in mind your budget for the event.
- Children and Families: If children will be attending, make sure to include them in the guest count and plan for activities or special arrangements to keep them entertained.
- Keep It Manageable: Avoid overextending yourself; make sure the number of guests is manageable for you and your team.
Work out a budget
Work out a budget for your party and stay within that figure. An easy way to go about doing this is to allocate amounts to various overheads after taking into consideration major expenses like Diwali special catering, Diwali setup & decorations.
A sample budget is as below:
|Diwali Entrance Decor||AED 1800|
|Diwali fairy light decor||AED 1500|
|Diwali dining set up||AED 2500|
|Diwali dry fruit sweet box – favours||AED 59|
|Indian buffet Menu||AED 105 Per head|
Diwali is as much about the food as it is about lights and decoration. A well-thought-out menu for a Diwali party should take into consideration vegetarians, non-vegetarians and guests with food allergies. Choose a traditional Indian menu and go heavy on sweets for dessert and finger food for snacking. Choose your caterer wisely that offers a huge spread of buffet & also suits your budget & taste alike.
|Salads||Tossed Indian Salad, Tomato with Mint Salad, Aloo Chana Chat, Garden Green Salad|
|Appetizers||Pani Puri with Condiments, Punjabi Samosa, Malai Chicken Tikka Skewers|
|Main Courses||Hyderabadi Chicken Biryani with Papad and raitha, Mutton Seekh Kebab, Chilli Fish, Paneer Butter Masala, Dal Makhni, Navratan Korma, White Rice|
|Desserts||Gulab Jamun, Gajar Halwa, Fresh Fruit Platter|
|Juices||Chilled Juices, soft drinks, fresh juices, mocktail juices, Selection of Tea & Coffee|
Decorate with Diwali-themed decor
Diwali party decorations spark the mood for the season. Complement the traditional menu with Diwali-themed décor. Dressing up your home on Diwali is the most fun part of the celebration. Start with the grand Diwali entrance decor. Choose from extensive Diwali decor options – Diwali lights, lamps, traditional flower decoration, Diwali-themed rangoli patterns, and cutouts – it’s all there on our menu! Let our decorators come in and help transform your home!
- Floating Diya Arrangements: Create a mesmerizing display with floating diyas (lamps) in decorative bowls or containers filled with water.
- Fairy Lights and Marigold Garlands: Combine strings of fairy lights with vibrant marigold garlands to adorn walls, ceilings, and entrances.
- Themed Rangoli with Diya Insets: Design a unique rangoli incorporating small recessed spaces to hold diyas
- Suspended Paper Lanterns: Hang colorful paper lanterns at varying heights from the ceiling.
- Shadow Play Lanterns: Use intricate lanterns with cut-out patterns to create captivating shadow patterns on walls and floors.
Rent furniture and seating
If your party going to be more than just a few family members then you are going to need additional seating. Rent additional chairs, tables, and sofas for your Diwali bash. We could even help you with ethnic-themed traditional swings, tents and floor seating that suits the Diwali atmosphere. Cool your outdoor seating space down with outdoor cooling options.
Tips for furniture and seating setup:
- Low Seating with Floor Cushions: Incorporate floor cushions, poufs, or low seating options.
- Mix of Seating Styles: Combine different types of seating, such as sofas, chairs, and ottomans, to offer a variety of comfortable options for guests.
- Cushion Covers and Throws: Add a festive touch to your furniture by incorporating cushion covers and throws in vibrant Diwali-themed colors like deep reds, golds, and greens.
- Ethnic Table Runners and Mats: Adorn dining tables and coffee tables with ethnic-inspired table runners and mats
- Decorative Candle Holders: Place ornate candle holders on side tables and shelves.
- Festive Centerpieces: Create eye-catching centrepieces using elements like brass bowls filled with floating flowers, petals, and floating candles on tea tables & side tables.
Set up cards tables
What’s a Diwali party without a round of cards? Get your hands on a few decks of playing cards complete with counters and put your guests in the Diwali mood! Select throw-in low tables that go well with floor seating for the cards session.
Hire Diwali live entertainers
Entertainment in terms of a live singer adds to the festive spirit. If you choose a Bollywood theme for your party, pep it up with a singer who specializes in Hindi film songs. You can also hire traditional Dholak players, dhol players or Bhangra & Dhol combo to set the festive mood.
Get the music going
create a playlist that has generational differences in mind. You want all your guests to enjoy the music, so don’t be afraid to play a variety! If possible, consider incorporating live music or dance performances that align with the Diwali theme and provide a space for guests to request their favourite songs. This interactive element allows them to contribute to the music selection and ensures everyone hears something they enjoy.
Select appropriate party favours
Send your guests back with traditionally wrapped giveaways. Diwali giveaway choices include mithai, dry fruit platters, trinkets in silver, and home décor items. Diwali party favours go a long way in keeping the Diwali party memories alive.
Don’t forget the photoshoot
Don’t forget to put your party down in your album. Set up a photo booth & get in touch with a good photographer who knows how to get the best shots at a traditional get-together. You, your family, and your friends will be dressed in ethnic finery and surrounded by traditional decor. Capture the festive spirit forever in great photographs!
Diwali party activities for kids and adults:
|Kids||Rangoli Making||Children can create vibrant and colorful rangoli designs using colored powders or flower petals.|
|Kids||Diya Painting||Let kids express their creativity by painting and decorating traditional Diwali lamps (diyas).|
|Kids||Treasure Hunt||Organize a fun treasure hunt with clues and hidden treats for kids to find.|
|Kids||Diwali Crafts||Provide materials for making Diwali-themed crafts like paper lanterns or greeting cards.|
|Kids||Musical Chairs||A classic game where kids walk around a circle of chairs and try to find a seat when the music stops.|
|Adults||Antakshari||Engage in a lively sing-along game where groups compete to sing songs based on specific rules.|
|Adults||Dance Competition||Create a playlist of Bollywood songs for a spirited dance-off to celebrate Diwali.|
|Adults||Card Games||Enjoy traditional card games like taash or teen patti, adding an element of friendly competition.|
Diwali or Deepavali is the most awaited yet most exorbitant celebration of the year. Hosting a perfect Diwali party takes a lot of effort and attention to detail. This is where experienced party planners come in handy in taking the tedious tasks off your shoulders. Hire good Diwali party planners and do what you ought to do in festivities – Enjoy!
Happy Deepawali 2023 !
- What is a Diwali party?
A Diwali party is a social gathering or event organized to celebrate Diwali with family and friends. It typically involves festive decorations, traditional food, music, and various activities.
2. What activities can be included in a Diwali party?
Diwali party activities may include rangoli making, diya painting, dance competitions, card games, and cultural performances.
3. What to wear for a Diwali party?
Traditional Indian attire like sarees, salwar suits, or kurta-pajamas for Diwali parties. It’s time to dress up in festive and elegant clothing.
4. Are there any safety tips for celebrating Diwali?
Yes, safety measures include using fire-safe diyas, following proper procedures for lighting fireworks, and ensuring children are supervised during the festivities.
5. How is Diwali celebrated?
Diwali is celebrated with various customs, including cleaning and decorating homes, lighting diyas (lamps), exchanging gifts, feasting, and setting off fireworks.